Here are 4-major questions to consider about your business:
1. Does your business feed your soul and energize every cell in your body or is it just another job?
2. Do you wake up with a lot of energy and ideas or do you wish you could go back to sleep?
3. Are you on a mission to accomplish something specific or are you reacting to whatever happens each day?
4. Do you feel like you add value to the lives of other people every day or do you watch the clock and wish the day would end?
Your response to those four questions will tell you right now, if your business is a joy that feeds your passions and desires or a black hole just sucking every ounce of energy it can from your family, your career and your life.
Give this exercise a shot to get moving in the right direction
1. Take a hard honest look at your answer to the questions above. You may even feel resistance to doing the exercise.
2. If you feel fulfilled, energized and happy to start the day so that you can add value to the lives of other people, good job! Consider ways you can take your energy, ideas and passions to a broader audience if possible.
3. If you feel like your work day is sucking every ounce of energy from you:
Make a list of what you want in your life. Then what you want in your business. Make sure your business supports the direction you would like to go in life in general.
Take the advice of Mark Victor Hanson. Write down what your purpose in life is. If you don’t know, sit down in a quiet place for a few minutes and ask the question: “If I knew my purpose in life, what would it be.”
Then write down the business model you are pursuing, based on your purpose in life. Connecting your business to your purpose in life is a key element to achieving lasting happiness from your enterprise.
BUSINESS MODEL EXAMPLE:
WHAT IS THE BUSINESS MODEL: Develop Your Vision is an information marketing company, selling events, training programs, information products and consulting services to small business owners and Solopreneurs who are looking for a distinct, competitive advantage in their business.
WHO DO WE SERVE: Our clients are in small, service based businesses. They want to use the power of their inherent strengths and personal creativity so that they can create a business that is a direct reflection of their greatest strengths, talents and passions.
WHAT VALUE DO WE ADD TO THEIR LIFE: We show them how to create a business that stands out from any competitor, because it uses the unique talents and passions of the business owner.
WHAT IS THE RESULT: Our clients stand out as being unique in a commodity driven world. As a result, they learn to love their life in business once again, continue to add value to the lives of other people and grow beyond what they may have thought possible.
Email your business model to email@example.com and I’ll give you a few ideas on how to use it effectively.