Small business owners often forget to promote their true reason for being in business; they've lost touch with their passionate vision.
Passion is defined as an intense, driving, or overmastering feeling or conviction. Vision means unusual discernment or foresight - a person of vision.
Passionate Vision is an authentic story because it comes from our heart. It's the reason we do what we do. And authentic stories are how we persuade people to use our service or product (ideas) over many other choices.
Ask Yourself This Question
Why did you go into business in the first place? You probably got started with a vision you felt passionate about.
Somewhere along the line you fell victim to day-to-day, reactive thinking and never returned to your original business vision.
What Can I Do to Rediscover My Vision?
Remembering the reason you started your business is the first step. Follow the action steps below to rediscover it.
Next, tell people the story of how you got started and why you love what you do.
Passion is that single, illusive thing that attracts clients.
This Weeks Action
1. Create an Authentic Vision Story. Start by considering the reason you started your business in the first place. Think back, when you first started out, what were you excited about?
2. Write down one sentence that tells the value you provide to others. This is the true reason you are in business.
3. Next, write down your competitive advantage. How are you different than the competition?
4. List single sentence statements that tell people your identity. Remember, image is dead. Clients and prospects need a strong authentic identity to understand exactly who you are and what you stand for.
5. Add your niche to this list. What single group of people do you best serve?
6. List the type of person you most enjoy working with. Include both professional and personal qualities. Understand who your ideal client is.
7. Weave the 6 points above into a compelling story.
8. Memorize that story. Focus on your ideal client only. Tell every ideal prospect you talk to this week your Authentic Vision Story.
9. The results will surprise you. Your prospects will seem more receptive. Your clients will be more willing to help you spread the word.
Follow these steps and you are guaranteed to find more enjoyment in your business.
If you're lacking a vision or not sure how to go about rediscovering it, check out the 90 Minutes to Better Marketing.
The 10 Things Marketing is REALLY All About